As we wind down our Instagram challenges and prepare for the release of our Fall/Winter 2013-2014 issue we’d like to invite you to respond to one of the most beloved poems in English, John Keats’ “To Autumn.”
Poetry Northwest + Instagramers Seattle + We Are Juxt
Poetry Northwest approached Instagramers Seattle and We Are Juxt to see how people would respond to poems visually and are working together for the rest of the year on a simple contest: monthly we post a poem and you have thirty days to respond to it visually. At the end of the month we pick our favorite snapshot and the winner receives a year long subscription to Poetry Northwest.
November 2013 = #ToAutumn
SEASON of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run;
To bend with apples the moss’d cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For Summer has o’er-brimm’d their clammy cells.
Those lines come from from the first stanza of “To Autum,” which you can read in full here, our November mobile photography challenge. What does it look like to you? We want to see it.
From November 1 – November 31 we challenge you to respond to Keats’ poem how ever you see fit. Any element of it is up for interpretation. Here are the particulars:
How it Works:
1. Post a photo to Instagram with #ToAutumn
2. Poetry Northwest (@poetrynw), Instagramers Seattle, & We Are Juxt will pick the winner who will receive a year long subscription (2 issues) to Poetry Northwest.
3. Submit as often as you want.
4. Photos must be posted to Instagram to #ToAutumn in order to be considered.
5. Photos must be posted between November 1 and November 30, 2013. Any photos posted after the close of the challenge will not be considered.
6. Poetry Northwest, Instagramers Seattle, & We Are Juxt reserve the right to remove any photo deemed inappropriate for any reason.